With Spring upon us, ticks are something all of us outdoor lovers will have to deal with sooner or later. For something so small, it’s amazing how quickly a tick infestation can make an otherwise perfect day kind of cruddy.
If the only problem they brought with them was the fact that they could latch on unnoticed and stay there for days, undetected, they’d still be awful. Unfortunately, they also carry with them the potential to give any of their unlucky hosts a number of deadly diseases.
Luckily for us, it turns out keeping ticks at bay may be as simple as getting the lint off your clothes. A simple adhesive lint roller is all you need to keep those tiny bloodsuckers away from that red stuff that keeps you alive.
Essential oils implemented with the lint roller will only up your chances of staying tick free. It also works for all other types of bugs.
Here are several oils and the bugs they deter:
1. Lavender – This smells sweet to us but bugs absolutely hate it. It works on mosquitoes, flies and other insects.
2. PennyRoyal – this is a member of the mint family and it is toxic to insects.
3. Lemongrass – This essential oil comes from tropical lemongrass and has a citrusy sent. It is a natural flea and tick repellent and can be sprayed directly on the skin.
4. Eucalyptus – use this alone or along with citronella oil to keep bugs away. According to the Journal of medical entomology, Eucalyptus extract can reduce tick bites and infections.
5. Lemon – some lemon essential oil can work against fleas and other bugs. Slightly dilute it and spray it on your clothing and skin.